Upper Mustang Trek
The Upper Mustang Trek is one of the popular treks going towards the north-central region of Nepal and China border. The region of Mustang was opened for tourist only two decades ago. Thus, the region was also known as ‘the forbidden city’ or ‘little Tibet’. The trekking trail in this region is filled up with natural beauty passing along remote valleys, age-old villages, forests, monasteries, Chortens etc. The main attraction of the trek is the visit to the ancient walled city of Lo-Manthang, the capital of Mustang. The city has some thousand year’s old monasteries and surrounding areas consist of ancient caves, temple and beautiful art and architecture. The Upper Mustang Trek starts with trans-Himalayan flight to Jomsom from Pokhara then trek to Kagbeni. The trail then ultimately leads to the ancient city of Lo-Manthang. En-route trekking one gets to witness majestic Himalayan panorama and pass along villages, Buddhist monasteries and way across the Kali Gandaki valley, the deepest valley in the world. With these unbelievable features, Upper Mustang Trek is a total Himalayan sojourn and witnessing the ancient local cultural and traditions.
• Scenic trans-Himalayan flight of to & from Jomsom to Pokhara with great mountain panorama
• Trek past raging rivers, lush countryside, alpine meadows, beautiful valleys, age-old villages
• Witness majestic views of the snow-capped mountains like Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and others
• Visit the ancient walled city of Lo-Manthang with thousand years’ old monasteries
Day 01: Pokhara to Jomsom (flight- 35 min) to Kagbeni (2800 m) 4-5 hrs
Early in the morning fly to Jomsom from Pokhara. It’s takes about 35 minutes and the most sceninc flight with Himalayan views and great landscapes. Upon landing at Jomsom, start the trek to Kagbeni after lunch. Kagbeni is reached before sunset – explore around Kagbeni village in the spare time. O/N Lodge.
Day 02: Kagbeni to Chele (3100m) 5-6 hrs
Upper Mustang Trek starts in the morning with following some rivers over a series of small ridges and proceeds towards Chele. Along the trail there are various black, red and white Chortens. Chortens are the hallmarks of the Upper Mustang region. Hiking for about 5-6 hours will reach Chele before sunset. O/N Lodge.
Day 03: Chele to Geling (3570m) 5-6 hrs
After breakfast, start the trek to Geling and today involves hiking along undulated trail. Geling is a small village in the Mustang district and the red painted building symbolizes monasteries of the region. O/N Lodge.
Day 04: Geling to Charang (3560m) 5-6 hrs
Today’s trek is exciting one with hiking past various white dzongs and red gompas ‘monasteries. Soon afterwards with hiking for about 5-6 hours will reach Charang. O/N Lodge.
Day 05: Charang to Lo Manthang (3840m) 5-6 hrs
This day the hike is to the walled city of Lo-Manthang which involves crossing the Marang (Chogo) La at 4230 meters. Lo-Manthang is a historical town where thousand years old monasteries are located. There are also caves, ancient arts and architecture of the local tribes to discover at Lo-Manthang. The city is entered through a gate locatewd in the north east corner of the city. O/N Lodge.
Day 06: Explore around Lo-Manthang
Today’s the reserved day for exploring around the beautiful town of Lo-Manthang. This includes visiting the local gompas ‘monasteries’, the ancient palace and some historical landmarks. Explore around the caves and the temples is another exciting part of the sightseeing. O/N Lodge.
Day 07: Lo-Manthang to Drakmar (3820m) 5-6 hrs
The trek leaves the walled city of Lo-Manthang and proceeds towards Drakmar. Drakmar has large tracts of terraced fields set against the red cliffs. There are also several cave-dwelling in the area. O/N Lodge.
Day 08: Drakmar to Shyangmochen (3850m) 5-6 hrs
The trail moves ahead towards Shyangmochen. Shyangmochen is popular for colorful Chortens on the top of Shyangmochen La. This village is located at the high elevation thus provides some great views of the surrounding mountains. O/N Lodge.
Day 09: Shyangmochen to Chhuksang (2980m) 5-6 hrs
Today’s hiking involves going through the rugged section with scary slips and taking de-tours. But even then you will proceed towards Chhuksang which is a village located at the Kali Gandaki Rive. O/N Lodge.
Day 10: Chhuksang to Kagbeni 5-6 hrs
This day the hike gets smoother with walking towards Kagbeni. The trek is about 5-6 hours of walk and after crossing some forests and rivers, Kagbeni is reached. O/N Lodge.
Day 11: Kagbeni to Jomsom 5-6 hrs
The final day of the Upper Mustang Trek and the trail now goes to the lower altitude of the Annapurna region towards Jomsom. It passes some dense forested area and en-route encounter few monasteries depicting the unique Buddhist culture and tradition. Upon reaching Jomsom, check-in hotel and the spare time is free to explore around Jomsom which is a happening place with trekkers from round the globe starting or ending the trek here. O/N Lodge.
Day 12: Jomsom to Pokhara
The exciting Upper Mustang Trek is now completed today and gets onboard the flight bound for Pokhara. Again it’s a scenic flight with majestic views of the Annapurna range, Dhaulagiri and other mountains in the Annapurna region. Upon arrival in Pokhara, transfer to your hotel.
What is Included
• Round trip flight fare from Pokhara – Jomsom – Pokhara
• Full board meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
• Best available twin sharing lodge to lodge accommodation during the trek
• Highly experienced, helpful and friendly Government licensed guide, porter (1 porter for 2 people) and their food, accommodation, transportation, salary, equipment, and accidental insurance for all staff
• Duffle bag, down jacket and sleeping bag during the trek
• First aid medical kit
• Special Trekking Permit (US$ 500 Per Person for 10 Days) If you wish to stay more than 10 days in restricted area, you are subjected to extra charge for extra days (US$ 50 per day / per person)
• Annapurna conservation permit fee
• TIMS Fee – Trekkers’ Information Management System (Please bring 2 passport size photos for permit)
• Government taxes & service charge
What is Not Included
• Travel insurance
• Any kind of alcoholic drinks, hot water, hot shower, cold drinks, laundry, phone call, and internet.
• Items of a personal nature.
• Personal trekking equipments
• Tips for trekking staff and driver
We will provide you with comprehensive information on the every trek and tour we arrange. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require more information or have any questions, we are more than happy to assist you in anyway.